Accounting - Associate of Science
The mission of the South College School of Business is to prepare students to become successful professionals capable of functioning in a diverse, dynamic, global economy. The programs offered emphasize teaching excellence and a learning environment that contributes to student development. The School seeks to contribute to the business community through professional involvement and applied intellectual contributions.
Through completion of one or more of the programs offered by the South College School of Business, students will:
- Demonstrate a fundamental knowledge of functional areas of business.
- Demonstrate the use of appropriate information systems and technology and an understanding of the impact of information systems and technology on business.
- Demonstrate an awareness of global issues as they relate to the business environment.
- Demonstrate interpersonal relationship skills and the ability to work as a member of groups.
- Reinforce problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Reinforce oral and written communication skills.
Associate of Science Degree in Accounting
The accounting degree programis designed to provide students with the appropriate knowledge and skills associated with the field of accounting. The goal of the program is to prepare students to seek employment in areas such as accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, bookkeeping, and accounting office management positions. These positions may be found in such diverse sectors as business, health, government, manufacturing, and social services.
All students must minimally meet the requirements for general admission to South College. General admission to South College does not guarantee admission to the accounting or business programs. Program admission is not granted until the following is met.
- Successful completion of 8 hours in the major curriculum at South College, earning the minimum grades required by the program. For the AS Accounting program, ACC 1000 must be successfully completed.
Major curriculum courses required in this program include courses in these areas:
- INTERMEDIATE ACCOUNTING
- ACCOUNTING INFORMATION SYSTEMS
- BUSINESS TAXATION
- BUSINESS LAW
- SPREADSHEET APPLICATIONS
- BUSINESS COMMUNICATIONS
|Cost of Program|
|Tutition & Fees||
|Books & Supplies||
|On-time Graduation Rate|
|Total 2011-12 Graduates||Number of 2011-12 Graduates Completing within Normal Time||2011-12 On-Time Graduation Percentage|
Reasons for students not completing on-time (i.e. 2 years for Associate degree programs, 4 years for Baccalaureate degree programs):
|An institution calculates an on‐time graduation rate for each program by:
* Determining the number of students who completed the program during the most recently completed award year,
* From the total students identified in step one, determining the number of students that completed the program within normal time, regardless of whether the student transferred into the program or changed programs at the institution, and
* Dividing the number of students who completed the program within normal time, as determined in step two, by the total number of students who completed the program, as determined in step one, and multiplying the result by 100.
|Placement Rate - July 1, 2011 - June 30, 2012|
Number of Graduates
Special Circumstance Non-Employed (Includes Cont Edu)
Number Employed In- Field or Related Field
In-Field or Related Field Employed Percentage
|Median Loan Debt - Year Ended June 30th, 2012|
|Federal Education Loans||
|Private Education Loans||
|Employment - Find Occupations on O*net|
|43-3011.00 Bill and Account Collectors
43-3031.00 Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks
43-3051.00 Payroll and Timekeeping Clerks
43-3061.00 Procurement Clerks
43-4041.00 Credit Authorizers, Checkers, and Clerks
43-4051.00 Customer Service Representatives
43-4131.00 Loan Interviewers and Clerks
43-4141.00 New Account Clerks
43-4151.00 Order Clerks
43-4161.00 Human Resources Assistants, Except Payroll andTimekeeping
43-4199.00 Information and Record Clerks, All Other
43-9041.00 Insurance Claims and Policy Processing Clerks