Students are required to have a personal laptop computer and iPad mobile device.1
Laptop computers with Windows or Apple/Macintosh operating systems are acceptable. The following is a list of minimum requirements:
An Apple iPad device4 with mobile broadband5,6 capabilities is required.
- Students are required to have the personal laptop and iPad mobile device before the first day of class.
- Software is required that enables viewing and editing frequently used file types including Microsoft files (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) and portable document files (PDFs).
- Even while using the most compatible applications, some software and applications may not be fully compatible with all hardware and across all platforms. For example, Adobe Flash files may not run on some Apple and Android operating systems. In these situations where incompatibility results, it is the student’s responsibility to view any required files utilizing compatible hardware or utilizing the South College computer laboratory.
- Example products include the various generations of iPad; however, a later generation device may be necessary to run required anatomical and clinical applications on the device. The newer iPhones with larger screens (e.g., iPhone 6 Plus) may be acceptable.
- Mobile broadband currently includes third generation (3G) and fourth generation (4G) networks.
- Mobile broadband capability for the mobile device is useful to provide an internet connection when a local wireless network is not available. This capability facilitates communication with the school server while working remotely or at clinical sites.
Updated: November 17, 2015