Students are required to have a personal computer that meets the following specifications.1 In addition, a mobile device is strongly recommended.
- Students are required to have the personal computer before the first day of class. Mobile devices are not required but will prove very useful to students as they progress through the program.
- Software is required that enables viewing and editing frequently used file types including Microsoft files (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) and portable document files (PDFs).
- Even while using the most compatible applications, some software and applications may not be fully compatible with all hardware and across all platforms. For example, Adobe Flash files may not run on some Apple and Android operating systems. In these situations where incompatibility results, it is the student’s responsibility to view any required files utilizing compatible hardware or utilizing the South College computer laboratory.
- Example products include phones and tablets from Acer, Apple, ASUS, Google, HTC, and Samsung.
- Example products include the iPhone and iPad of various generations.
- Mobile broadband currently includes third generation (3G) and fourth generation (4G) networks.
- Mobile broadband capability for the mobile device is useful to provide an internet connection when a local wireless network is not available. This capability facilitates communication with the school server while working remotely or at clinical sites.