Physician Assistant Studies

Health Insurance and Immunization

Health Insurance

All PA students are required to carry health insurance (including hospitalization) throughout the entire program. It is the responsibility of the student to purchase health insurance and provide proof of insurance. Health concerns should be addressed with your primary care provider. South College does not have student health facilities, but we do have an agreement with Cherokee Health Systems to provide services to our students. Students are financially responsible for any services rendered by Cherokee. Once matriculated into the Physician Assistant Program, students must show compliance with the health policy including personal health insurance coverage within one month of the start of classes. Failure to do so may result in being liable for dismissal from the program. Students must re-certify their health status (including proof of health insurance) prior to beginning the clinical phase of the program. Students may not engage in clinical activities until compliance has been met.


Prior to entering the South College Physician Assistant Program, students must submit health provider proof of a health examination and updated information of immunization health certificate indicating TB testing results and HBV immunization series.

Specific related requirements include:

  1. Provide proof of personal health insurance throughout the entire program;
  2. Provide proof of current BLS certification;
  3. Provide proof of a satisfactory physical examination (also prior to clinical year);
  4. Provide proof of TB Tine Test (positive results will require the student to receive a chest x-ray and further evaluation);
  5. Provide proof of Hepatitis B vaccine and positive Hep B Ab;
  6. Provide proof of MMR vaccine or immunity; and,
  7. Provide Varicella history or vaccination.

Prior to entering the clinical phase of the program, students must again update their immunization and health certificate and provide proof of the following:

  1. Provide proof of current BLS certification;
  2. Provide proof of updated annual TB PPD or tine test;
  3. Provide proof of blood-borne pathogen orientation course; and
  4. Provide proof of current personal health insurance, throughout the clinical year.

For more information about immunization of Health Care Workers go to:

Chat with us

Have any questions? Let us help!

Request Information


National Drug Control Policy Visit

South College School of Pharmacy Hosts Office of National Drug Control Policy Visit

10th Annual Writing Contest

Calling all established, budding, closet or would-be writers for South College's 10th Annual Writing Contest. Deadline is March 28!